samedi 14 janvier 2017

A collective cry


These days it feels like a collective cry is going up to the heavens, more and more urgent: "What can we do to stem the tide of destruction and create peace as a living reality among human beings and all creatures?"
The question leads to specific reflections about what each of us can do day by day: Can I sustain an individual meditation or yoga or prayer practice that allows me to be present to myself and others during the day in a kind and loving way? Can I use less fossil fuel -- by driving less, by buying local foods that do not need to be transported long distances, by using alternative power sources? Can I explore the tasty and healthful benefits of a vegetarian or vegan diet, which makes more food available to others by sensible land use and which reduces the harm done to the four-footed, flying, and swimming creatures with whom we share the planet? Are there effective political avenues open to me? Can I donate money to organizations that make a direct difference to people in need? Are my skills ones which can be used in my vocation or as a volunteer to bring healing, mediation, education, food and shelter, or other needed resources to combat zones? How can I connect with others who share these concerns so that we act in concert and support each other?
These kinds of questions deserve our daily prayerful consideration, so that slowly and surely we can "turn round right," as the Shaker hymn puts it. At the end of each day, we can reflect on progress, let go of setbacks, and commit ourselves to moving ahead once again in the morning. When we do so, others take notice, gain hope, and begin their own turning. 
Blessings, 
Your Spirituality & Practice Team 
Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat 
Patricia Campbell Carlson 
Darren Polito 

Aucun commentaire: